JAMIE LEWIS SMITH, PHD
CEO + ORGANIZATION DEVELOPMENT PSYCHOLOGIST
Jamie is a transformative and accomplished professional with over 15 years experience guiding individuals, leaders, and organizations through change. She specializes in organizational and leadership assessments, workplace culture change, and leadership development within healthcare about which she has published and presented internationally. Jamie has helped leaders and organizations as an internal consultant across government, non-profit, and private agencies, and recently founded Pixel Leadership Group in order to have a broader impact on leaders and organizations.
As an Organization Development Consultant for the VHA National Center for Organization Development, she offered a broad array of services, including executive assessment and coaching, senior leadership team development, workplace environment evaluation and intervention, and leading culture change initiatives. One highly successfully initiative was Civility, Respect, and Engagement in the Workplace (CREW), which was implemented in more than 100 medical centers, with 1,100 employee work groups and 10,000 employees participating in the program. She was also asked to lead the Servant Leadership culture change within the VA for which she developed a Servant Leadership 360-Degree Assessment and an associated leadership development resources. As the Organization Development Manager for Nemours Children’s Healthcare System, one of the nation’s largest integrated pediatric healthcare systems, she spearheaded the in-house creation of a suite of customized management development tools and sessions with an emphasis on instilling skills that aligned leaders’ behaviors to the organization’s desired culture, values, and strategic direction. She also led the design and implementation of a robust, highly-regarded Physician Leadership Development Program to develop existing and high-potential physician leaders. In her role as Director of Talent Development for MedExpress, a national leader in urgent care services, her team was responsible for development and training across the full employee lifecycle – from hire to retire – with an emphasis on strengthening the leadership pipeline.
Jamie graduated with honors and Magna Cum Laude with dual majors in Psychology and Sociology from Kent State University. She earned her MS/PhD in Clinical Psychology from the University of Miami, FL and is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist in Ohio. She is very active in her professional organization, APA Division 13 Society of Consulting Psychology, as a part of the Annual Conference Planning Committee (2016 – 2019) and assisting with continuing education offerings. She lives outside Cleveland, OH with her wonderfully unique high-needs two-year-old, Beckett, and his furry sidekick Bosco.
- You’re Not Harnessing Your Greatest Resource: Your Managers (LinkedIn.com, June 2022)
- The Leadership Lessons Autism Has Taught Me (LinkedIn.com, April 2022)
FORBES COACHES COUNCIL ARTICLES
- 15 Business Coaches Share the No. 1 Issue They Counsel Clients About (Forbes.com, September 2022)
- 15 Effective Ways to Gan More Influence In Your Space (Forbes.com, May 2022)
- 15 Steps to Get Rid of Negative Thought Patterns (Forbes.com, April 2022)
- 15 Smart Things Companies Can Do To Curb High Employee Turnover (Forbes.com, April 2022)
- 15 Ways to Keep Company Culture Intact When Key Leaders Depart (Forbes.com, December 2021)
SELECT ACADEMIC ARTICLES
- Leadership Assessments: A history and overview of empirical and practical considerations (New Directions for Student Leadership, 2021 , 23 - 34, Summer 2021)
- Creation of a Multi-Rater Feedback Assessment for the Development of Servant Leaders at the Veterans Health Administration (Servant Leadership: Theory & Practice, 3 , 12 - 51, February 2016)
- Making Your Managers Talent Maximizers (Butler Human Resources Association, Invited Speaker, Butler, PA, January 10, 2023)
- EX Over CX (Economic Times HR World's HCE Summit 2022, Virtual, November 18, 2022)
- To Combat the Talent Crisis Make Your Managers into Employee Engagement and Retention Maximizers (2022 Garden State Council SHRM, October 2022)
- Psychological Safety and Physical Safety: This Is the Secret Sauce for Maximizing Your Organization’s Safety – and It’s Success! (2022 Honda Supplier Sustainability Symposium, Invited Speaker, Columbus, OH, September 2022)
- Practical Strategies and Critical Best Practices to Develop Managers into Employee Engagement and Retention Maximizers (PA SHRM 2022 Annual Conference, State College, PA, September 2022)
- Best Practices and Considerations for Integrating Assessments into Your Talent Development Strategy (Dulles SHRM Monthly Learning Session Speaker, Virtual, April 2022)
- Elevate Your Coaching Practice: Leveraging the Power of Assessments (ICF Cleveland Invited Speaker, Virtual, October 2021) Transforming Leadership: Become an Empowering Leader Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Cleveland, OH, April 2021)
- Leader as Coach Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Cleveland, OH, June 2021)
- Mentors, Sponsors, Coaches, & Teachers…What’s the Difference? (Engage! Cleveland Annual Professional Development Conference, Virtual, November 2020)
- Leader as Coach Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session in Cleveland Ohio, Virtual, November 2020)
- Leading with Emotional Intelligence Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Virtual, November 2020)
- HR Focus: Untangling the Web of Leadership Assessments Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Virtual, October 2020)
- Leading with Emotional Intelligence Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Cleveland, OH, November 2019)
- Executive Presence Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Pittsburgh, PA, May 2019)
- Powerful Presentations Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Pittsburgh, PA, May 2019)
- HR Focus: Untangling the Web of Leadership Assessments Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Cleveland OH, February 2019)
- Work Strong + Successful – Know Your Strengths (2018 Annual YPN Seattle ProDev Conference, Seattle, WA, December 2018)
- Leader as Coach Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Pittsburgh, PA, December 2018)
- Leadership Style Assessment Session – The Power of YOU+ (Engage! Cleveland 2018 Annual Professional Development Conference, Cleveland, OH, November 2018)
- Building a Culture of Trust Full-day Workshop (HRCI-Approved Session, Cleveland, OH, September 2018)
- Building Bench Strength through a Sustainable Pipeline of High Potentials (Nonprofit Talent & Culture Summit, Washington, DC, April 2016)
- Servant Leadership: What is it and what can it do for you? (Talent Management Without Borders, Orlando, FL, November 2014)
- Assessing and Developing Servant Leaders: A Practical Approach (Greenleaf Centre for Servant Leadership – Asia, Singapore, April 2014)
- Application of Servant Leadership within the Veterans Health Administration (Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership Annual Conference, Indianapolis, IN, June 2013)
I had the pleasure of working with Jamie Lewis Smith as a professional coach after I was promoted to Director at Cisco. Jamie created a safe and supportive environment where we could discuss challenges and opportunities for personal growth. Her advice on communication and relationship-building helped me navigate complex dynamics within the company. With Jamie's expertise, guidance, and encouragement, I gained valuable insights to assist my growth as a leader. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to work with Jamie at this point in my career and wholeheartedly recommend working with her.
-- Associate General Counsel, Cisco
Jamie is a fantastic coach and mentor. She genuinely took an interest in getting to know me and quickly won my trust with her expertise and candor. Drawing from her vast experience, she asked thoughtful questions and provided relevant industry insight which allowed for powerful self-discovery in creating an actionable growth plan. I would highly recommend Jamie!
-- Sr. Principal, Fortune 500 Retail Industry
Jamie is a seasoned coach and excellent listener who was able to provide sound and actionable advice. As a recipient of Jamie’s coaching, I've seen firsthand how our work together has improved and expanded my leadership capabilities. I highly recommend Jamie to any executives seeking to improve their leadership capabilities and deliver tangible business results.
-- Sr. VP IT Solution Delivery, Retail Industry
Thanks a lot Jamie for all the time you spent with me. Your advice was instrumental in helping me navigate the various organizational changes and challenges, and spark longer-term thought processes."
-- Sr. Director, Engineering, Fortune 50 Global Technology Company
My coaching experience exceeded my expectations. Jamie Lewis Smith is an incredible coach, and she transformed my thought process to handle uncomfortable situations confidently. Thank you, Jamie!"
-- Sr. Director, Data & Analytics, Fortune 50 Global Technology Company